Click here for Myspace Layouts

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Put correct facts in as little words as possible

Born in Zambia, South Africa, and brought up all over India, Ludhiana based Alice Guram, an alumnus of English Journalism Department at IIMC joined Financial Express as a trainee reporter in 1992 and then moved to The Pioneer. Guram left The Pioneer in 1997 when she was a Special Correspondent. She started freelancing in 1997 with the Financial Express, Hindustan Times, The Pioneer, Economic Times, The Times of India, Asian Age and Deccan Chronicle.

Alice started out in media management over a decade ago. She is now one of the leading image consultants in the North India with her company’s MEDIAPULSE offices in most major cities including Chandigarh, Jalandhar & Srinagar. Her impressive portfolio speaks of work with Saif Ali Khan and Kevin Pieterson. She also assisted the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie in developing the Communications Module for IAS Probationers in 2011-2012.

She has been an associate of Zee Entertainment Enterprises since the last 10 years. Other corporates, Alice work with, are Universal Music, United Spirits in addition to being an affiliate of various PR agencies.
It was in May 1991 that I was asked a question: What do you plan to do if you do not pass the IIMC interview?

My answer: Sir, I have not thought about it. I know I will be passing the interview.

It was this conviction that I think sealed my position in IIMC and even my job a year later. The question was put forward by current Rajya Sabha Member Mr Balbir Punj who was part of the panel interviewing us. A year later he took me on as a reporter in the Financial Express.

These were the doors that IIMC opened for me in life.

Getting into IIMC in the 1990s was almost like winning a battle. There were only 20 seats in English Journalism of which only 12 were in the open. Thus each one of us who made it knew we were the special few from the lakhs who had applied.

While many of you reading this may have heard the words “being true to yourself, honesty and determination” time and again, for me personally it is these very words that helped gain an entry into the course.

Courtesy: Hindustan Times, Chandigarh, April 22, 2012
As a first, I did just what many elders would advise us never to do…I put all my eggs in one basket. I had not applied anywhere and hence it was a do or die situation for me. For this reason, I knew I had to make it; there was no second alternative in my life. In addition, it wasn’t any journalist that I wanted to become…I liked writing and I always wanted to join print journalism and hence it was only and only IIMC for me.

What helped me further was the confidence in myself.  I knew I had my facts correct and I put them in as little words as possible….hence the need to be brief and to the point in both the written test and interview is a must.

Though in the 1990s, we never used to have a group discussion, I would advocate taking a different stand than the ordinary. Confrontation is not a dirty word. Sometimes it's the best kind of journalism as long you don't confront people just for the sake of a confrontation.

If you pass the three tests and gain an entry into IIMC, your life is for you to mould the way you want to. The nine months you spend at the Institute is almost like rebirth, for after you pass out, you will be doing what you have aimed to do all your life.

A mother nurtures her child for the same period of time in her womb; IIMC nurtures us for the same period of time to fight the battles of the world. A mother brings a child into the world; IIMC brings out mature human beings with mature minds into the world.


My wishes to all of you
Alice Guram

No comments: