Click here for Myspace Layouts

Friday, June 21, 2013

Relax...Take A Deep Breath

Rayana Pandey, an alumna of English Journalism 2006-07 batch, coordinates Singapore Chapter of IIMC Alumni Associaton. An international business journalist with over six  years of diverse experience across both print and online, Rayana currently helms Marketing Magazine’s Singapore edition. She has been with the company for five years and has taken on multiple roles during this period. Having started her career at Business Standard, one of India’s leading business newspapers, Rayana moved to Singapore in 2008 to explore online journalism and hasn’t looked back since then. When not in her editor’s avatar, she can be found on stage honing her acting and public speaking skills or volunteering with a local social enterprise.
Congrats on winning half the battle, guys. And for the rest half, I’m very sure, you know the drill. Keep abreast with latest developments, both local as well as global; have a point of view, be prepared to defend it yet don’t come across as stubborn (or you may, if you are darn sure about what you are saying and able to convince the panel); dress well and put on a confident smile; relax, take a deep breath, believe in yourself etc etc. These are points that must have been drilled into you by now for IIMC’s interview.

So let me quickly summarise what PI for English Journalism is like. Picture this: a big room with, anywhere between 3 to 5 interviewers on one side and you on the other. Some staring at you without uttering a word while some, mainly one or two, active interrogators.

Don’t ignore/forget the former and don’t get intimidated by the latter. Talk to everyone and beware of that twiddling thumb or restless legs syndrome. Remember, you have been tested on your knowledge during the written exam already. PI is mainly to gauge your soft skills and personality (think Dabangg before you go into the room, that’s the sort of confidence you need).

Don’t worry if the PI time was too long or short by your standards/expectations. What’s important is that you enjoy the conversation while you are at it! And that’s all, before you realise your interview is over.

I took my IIMC entrance exam without a plan B. (yes, I did give a few other entrances but half-heartedly and never wanting to get into those courses, truly). So when my dad asked me what if IIMC didn’t happen? My answer was, I don’t know. In my heart, I felt that question was wrong, I don’t know why. And no, I’m usually not this decisive but this case was different. I guess this was one instance of my life when I was full of self-belief and conviction.

So my friends, you will find that conviction too, whether for IIMC or any other career path. And then there will be no looking back. Onwards and upwards!

No comments: