Click here for Myspace Layouts

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Know how to present the little that you know properly...

Hello friends....
 
 
I was a student of English journalism, 2005-06 batch of IIMC New Delhi. I am sure after clearing the written test all of you must be excited as well as nervous about the interview.
 
I am not going to write any points on how to do well in the interview because you will get the standard tips in any good personality development article. What I will do is give an account of my experience and hope that it is of some help to you too.

Well, the interview panel will have at least three people, including one of the faculty members and other two or three journalists. As the panelists keep changing every year, there is no fixed formula as to what they are looking for in a candidate. But I will tell you how I prepared for it.

The interview can last for anything between 10-20 minutes or maybe more in some interesting cases. You don't have a lot of time to impress the interviewer, so state your views clearly and to the point.

Be very thorough with the various socio-political events happening in your state because if you don't know about your own home, there is no point just knowing what Bush or Manmohan said.

Next, world events are also important, so obviously have a rough idea about important developments on issues which have a direct impact on India, like the falling dollar, oil crisis, inflation — everything is related.

Remember that the interviewer is not looking for the perfect answer, it's OK not to know all the facts, but you should know how to present the little that you know properly, with your original views.
 
Even if you don't agree with the panelists, you should put your argument well, with valid points and examples. So while preparing, you can make a checklist of the latest developments and note down small points that you can remember. It's OK to be nervous and fumble.
 
My first question was "Why do you want to be a journalist?" — the most obvious and simplest question, and I just blabbered something, as I am always uncomfortable with general or personality-related questions. So if you are not the spontaneous type, I would suggest do some mock interviews with friends about basic questions like this.
 
I always thought these kind of questions are not very important and one should concentrate on GK. But it gives you more confidence and later for my job interviews I was always better prepared.

Lastly, no matter how much you prepare be ready for the unexpected. At the particular moment you may forget everything you studied, so don't mug up anything, just form your own strong views because that always stays with you no matter in what situation you are and you can present it well.

I hope this helps and you can be part of this wonderful institute. (By the way, you will really have to slog it out here and also after you join a media organization, so be prepared for the drill).
 
But I guess all of you have decided to be on this path now — so all the best!
 
Be alert, be cool and SMILE. 

 

 
 
Meghalee Das
Sr. Sub-editor, Business Standard
New Delhi

No comments: