Click here for Myspace Layouts

Monday, June 23, 2014

7 Things You Should Do To Get Into IIMC

Suparn Pandey passed out of IIMC in 2012. He is a Co-Founder and Managing Editor at ScoopWhoop.com as well as a bumbling Stand-Up Comic.

You guys have no idea how glad I am that IIMC happened to me. Now, you stand one step away from one of the best experiences of your life. All that remains is the GD and PI. Here are a few pointers I think might help you along the way.

Be Easy On The Eyes, Dress Well
This really goes without saying, but it truly helps your chances if you look like you’ve actually put some effort into looking presentable for the GDPI session. Even if you’re a budding creative, remember that you’re not in an agency yet. So at the very least, wear well fitting, clean clothes and groom yourself appropriately. Just look on the bright side. Once you get through, you can dress however you like for the next year and a half. 

In The Group Discussion, Be Like Amitabh Bachchan
No, you don’t need to imitate his voice and no; you don’t have to get a French beard permanently grafted to your face. What I’m trying to say is, when you’re in a group discussion, listen carefully, behave cordially and speak sparingly yet convincingly. After all, you’re not on the News-Hour with Arnab, are you?  Make your points, let others speak and engage with everyone. You’ll be just fine.

In The Interview, Be Interesting, Not Obnoxious
The way I see it, you’ve got 10 to 15 minutes to make a lasting impression on the interview panel. So, you have to be like that YouTube video that’s interesting from start to finish. Tell your experiences and stories well. Enjoy telling them.

Talk About Something You’re Passionate About. It Could Even Be Your Dog
I’m not even kidding. I did that. I spoke about my dog for close to 5 minutes. It was pretty effortless really. Now, I’m not advising you to talk about Fido for the entire interview. What I am saying is that when you talk about something you love or you’re passionate about, your enthusiasm and happiness shines through, and that counts for a lot.

It Pays To Be Sincere. Like, Genuinely Sincere
Be a sincere fella and keep the flattery to a minimum. Believe in yourself and answer every question without hesitation, guilt or egotism. They say that “You cannot fill a cup that is already full.” Go ahead and show them that your cup is empty, so that they may pick you and fill it.

Avoid Foot-in-Mouth Disease
If you don’t know something, just say so. There’s no pride lost in admitting you’re wrong or you’re not aware of something. Just make sure you don’t do an Alia Bhatt and go “Prithviraj Chauhan!” when asked about the Prime Minister of India.

Read Up On Political Campaigns
A ton of money has been spent by political parties on election P.R and advertising. Naturally, there are a ton of political campaign questions headed your way. Read up on both the BJP and Congress campaigns, their strategies and the agencies involved. Nahi toh “interviewers maaf nahi karengey.” 

That’s pretty much all I had to say about that. I hope my rambling discourse will help you out in some way or the other.

Best of luck, I’ll see you on the other side.

10 comments:

ANURAG PASI said...

scoopwoop founder is IIMC alumni ? :O
I am a big fan of that site (Y)
and thanks a lot for the tips

@alokbhute said...

Bro, I am not supposed to comment here as it is for the aspirants, but I couldn't hold myself.
A well written piece of advice. Crisp, sharp and clear pointers. Keep it up and share some stand ups of urs as well. Would love to watch and share

SouthLede said...

Sir,
I have cleared the written for EJ and R&TV . Will there be both GD&PI or GD only?

Srishti said...

Listicles comes everywhere :p Best was Fido :)

Unknown said...

i thought the candidates will only be asked questions! i have been selected for AD and PR. do we really have to go through a GD?! i get nervous in such cases! it becomes tough to wait for the opportunity to interrupt the other participants!

Unknown said...

i have been selected for AD and PR. i thought there will only be a normal question-answer session involved! really, do we have to go through a GD too? i get nervous in such cases! it gets tough to decide when to interrupt the other participants!

Deepti Gahrotra said...

Good job Supi! thats sood advice. I wish I'd also got to talk about Jimmy in my interview :/

Anonymous said...

sir i am completing my grduation next year year i will
apply for masters in iimc how can i prepare myself for selection

Anonymous said...

give me some tips for qualifying the enterance exam

Anonymous said...

help