Click here for Myspace Layouts

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Fold Your Sleeves And Relax !

Rajiv Singh belongs to 2013-14 batch of English Journalism (Jammu Campus). He conducts motivational speech sessions. Had laid stone for Debating society in college & won inter-college competitions. Rajiv is working as Social Media Researcher & Analyst in ValueFirst, a digital communication company.


Yes you read it right. IIMC written is over. Half the job completed, so why to worry. It's just an interview, isn't it? If you are thinking there will be a 'hidden' meaning in my message, not to panic because there is one!

Confused or surprised after reading it all. Well that's what the interviews are all about. Jury throw surprises and try to put you off the pedal. They want to know whether you are amazing in self contradicting yourself or have crystal clear clarity of thoughts (and actions).

If I just rotate the clock one year back, I can tell you why 'fold your sleeves' is such a standout title for this message. I was part of one of the most dramatic interviews ever conducted in IIMC history.

It was second day of four days long interview session. I was dressed in formals - trousers & cool blue shirt. People around me were flipping through newspapers and were trying to get grip of every event, especially Uttarkhand flood disaster. I on the other hand was pretty relaxed and chatted around with few people (actually I made friends).

Since it was hot that day, I folded my sleeves. In the meantime, my name was called out. Outside the room, while I was waiting I pacified few girls who were panicking. They asked me whether I have worked before & have appeared in these kind of interviews. I said no and they were now more nervous than before. Before I forget let me tell you all, the guy standing in front of me had even rolled up tie around his neck. The dress code pressure on me had mounted and I was completely unaware of this.

My chance came, five panelists were present and it was past twelve. I greeted them afternoon and before I could ask for seat, the lady panelist retorted, "Is this the way to come for an interview with your sleeves folded? I smiled and glanced at everyone. I did not take the seat because I was yet not permitted but I also did not unfold my shirt (I will give you the reason why) but not now. I answered all the questions but I wasn't allowed to finish my answers. I had no qualms, I was all smile. My photo was clicked by one of the panelists, I was still unruffled. When results came out, my name was up there in first list.

To cut the long story short, what I did was pretty simply -
  1. I was cool and calm before, during and after interview. I came with a thought process of enjoying the moment. I had nothing to lose, this mantra gave me strength.
  2. The way I was welcomed, I knew it is going to be a 'stress interview'. I didn't back out rather I seeked fun in it.
  3. I was honest with my words and answers. Since I was enjoying it all, it showed on my face.
  4. I was not deeply immersed in newspaper that day because regular news update should be a habit, not a one day feed. Instead I interacted with people and learnt about their experiences and background. You learn from people. Mass Communication is all about people, don't forget.
  5. And lastly, I did not unfold my shirt because I wasn't asked to! (If you read the above statement, it was a mere remark by lady panelist not an instruction). Secondly, I stuck to my decision. There is always something beyond the cover of any book. I knew they will read and enjoy it, which they did.
So be who you are, don't be a rebel but back your decisions. And you'll crack it with your folded sleeves and curved smile.

All the best, rock it!
rajiv20singh65@gmail.com

No comments: