Click here for Myspace Layouts

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Keep It Simple and Be Confident- You Can Do It !

Arpita Kedia is an alumna of English Journalism from New Delhi of 2013-14 batch. She is a BBA graduate from CCS University. She is currently working as Trainee Account Executive in Adfactors PR Agency via Campus Placement.


The request to write for the blog comes at a time when I am sitting at my office desk, lost in the beautiful memories of Indian institute of Mass Communication. IIMC is that part of my life which will remain with me forever in many forms. Be it the people I met there who have become an integral part of my life or the experiences and opportunities that I recall. Such is the charisma of this place.

The desire of getting into the world of media was not a sudden or random thought. My inclination towards journalism as I put it was in my blood. I grew up seeing the undying passion of my father towards journalism which he could not fulfill as his parents did not support him. But I was lucky, and had the dream of getting into this profession brewing inside me. Like many of my readers, I too wanted to get into the best journalism school and I applied for IIMC last year in the midst of my final year examinations of graduation.

Post applying, I too had this big question in my mind that how I should go about it. I was searching for a do’s and don’ts list which could answer to the long list of queries I had. And then I came across this blog. Believe me this blog helped me realizing my dream. And the most important thing which I would suggest as many of my seniors suggested me is to do away with anxiety. The written exam for which you are going to appear is no rocket science. So relax and be calm.

Since the purpose of writing this piece is to help the readers prepare for the exam. I would put it straight in the form of some pointers.

  • The written exam carries maximum marks and hence it is very important to clear it. The key to it as I say is ‘Keep it simple’. Try to present your thoughts with clarity and objectivity. Put your points in a synchronized manner and try to stick with the word limit. Writing a lot really doesn’t help. But a good handwriting definitely will help you gain good marks.
  • Take a look at the previous year’s question papers. It gives you an insight to the structure of the paper. The paper is centric to recent events. So if you all have been in the habit of reading newspapers regularly for the past few months, I suppose half of your work is done. You can also tune in to news channels. The rest is general English.
  • The paper is subjective. Therefore manage your time properly and write your answers. It is pretty normal that you may feel like you know all about it and would want to write down everything. But hold on. You will get a lot of opportunities to do that once you are selected. So structure your answers and do include examples where you can.
  • Some potential topics which are most important for the Entrance Examination this time are the Indian elections and the conflict going on in Russia. Do not forget to read as much about the elections as possible. From the campaigning, to the use of abusive language in the speeches, the emergence of Aam Aadmi Party and the downfall of Arvind Kejriwal. Brush up your knowledge on each of these aspects of Indian politics and not just this, keep your ears and eyes wide open to the world issues and sports as well.
Lastly, I would wish all the aspirants good luck. Clearing this exam would bring you one step closer to your dream. Hence be calm and composed. Keep reading and be updated with all the important news. I also believe that no special coaching is required to prepare for the exams. Remember, simplicity and objectivity is the key.

The ten months journey has been the most wonderful learning experience. Hope you also get to live it once in your life. Good luck and be confident .

Feel free to contact me on ak.arpitakedia@gmail.com for further questions.

No comments: